MEETUPS AGENDA 2019-2020:
In an abundance of caution and in the spirit of social responsibility, the University of Nicosia is taking the following additional precautionary measures to promote the safety of our University community and society at large:
*Suspension of all official university-related international travel until further notice
*Suspension or postponement of all events until further notice.
*Please note that classes will not be affected and will continue to operate normally.
*UNIC students and employees who already travelled to high risk countries are advised to follow all necessary self-isolation and precautionary steps as described here: http://www.unic.ac.cy/coronavirus
*UNIC encourages all students and employees to defer any non-essential personal travel abroad.
The university will continue to monitor the situation and take further actions if and as needed. The latest information on this topic can always be found at http://www.unic.ac.cy/coronavirus.
More information may be seen here: https://us18.campaign-archive.com/?e=&u=66571461fb9612c71c5620e9a&id=dbcf8851a9
CANCELLED – March 18th 2020 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room- UNIC
– Speaker: Mr Yiannis Menelaou (Innovation Manager at ZEME – Founding Member and President of Cyprus Blockchain Association – Founding Member of European BlockTech Federation)
– Speaker: Mr Simon Zenios (Lawyer & Director at Simon Zenios & Co LLC – Specialized in Blockchain & Forex companies – Member of the Cyprus Committee drafting the Blockchain & DLT Law in Cyprus – ICO/IEO/IDO/STO Expert on ICObench.com)
February 19th 2020 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room- UNIC
– Speaker: Mr Menelaos Kesisoglou (Junior Associate, Stelios Americanos & Associates LLC) – ” The liberation of real world assets via Tokenization.”
– Speakers: Mr George Agathangelou CMO Block.co, Business Development Manager Grant Thornton Blockchain Cyprus, Vice-President Decentralized Nicosia Chapter) and by Mr. Patrick Makedonas (Project Manager D-Core) – “Introduction to Decentralized Finance and DAOs.”
December 20th 2019 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room- UNIC
– Speaker: Mr Charis Savvides (Partner, Stelios Americanos & Associates LLC
Lecturer, UNIC Institute For the Future), and Mr Menelaos Kesisoglou (Junior Associate, Stelios Americanos & Associates LLC) – “The Cyprus Strategy on Blockchain: What should the service providers expect.”
November 20th 2019 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room- UNIC
– Speaker: Ms Antonia Michail (MBA, LLM in International Business, AML Compliance Specialist, President of the Decentralized Nicosia Chapter) – “Blockchain Intro and Blockchain for Business: Going beyond the hype”
– Speaker: MS Christiana Aristidou (Technology-Business Lawyer – National Delegate to ISO TC/307 for Blockchain and DLTs, ITU FG DLT and Founding Member and Vice Chair of Cyprus Blockchain Association) – “Blockchain-based Self Sovereign Identities and eIDAS”
ANNOUNCEMENT – Decentralized Nicosia Chapter Newly Elected Executive Committee and Next Meet-Up
Decentralized Nicosia Chapter, being part of the University of Nicosia’s vision of creating a global decentralized network of chapters that share the same passion in relation to Blockchain Technology and its applications and being one of the leading Blockchain communities of Nicosia, offering free and open lectures regarding blockchain and its applications to the public, had elections held on 16/10/2019 for the 2nd year term. The newly elected four-member Executive Committee of the Decentralized Nicosia Chapter is as follows:
• President: Ms Antonia Michail
• Vice-President: Mr George Agathangelou
• Treasurer: Mr Alexis Nicolaou
• Secretary: Mr George Masouras
Considering the fact that Decentralized Nicosia Chapter consists of people who realize the disruptive potential of blockchain and wish to learn and contribute towards this cause, the Chapter will continue to focus on spreading of awareness and technical expertise to its members and to the broader community in relation to Blockchain Technology. This will be achieved through presentations from industry related people, publication of articles, circulating of relevant content to the members and support for start-ups in the sector.
Noting of the above, Decentralized Nicosia Chapter aspires in disseminating useful information and experience while adhering to high professional and ethical standards.
It is worth mentioning that over the course of last year, the Executive Committee of the Decentralized Nicosia Chapter, held bi-weekly meetings for its Members. During those meetings more than 30 seminars, free and open to the public were held by Blockchain experts who presented various topics and provided further academic and networking support to the participants of the meetings.
The Committee has also reached out to local communities, arranged common meetups either locally or abroad, and has also assisted in the creation of other chapters around the world, such as the Decentralized Cape Town Chapter, the Decentralized India Chapter and the recent Decentralized Athens Chapter.
It is further noted that important collaborations during the year were achieved, and experts from these organizations participated in the meetings, such as the recent collaboration with the Institute for the Future, the Canadian Government, the Cyprus Blockchain Association, the Cyprus Blockchain Technologies, the Bitcoin Club Cyprus, the Greek Cryptocurrency Community, the Cyprus Organisation for Standardisation (CYS), and others. The detailed program of the meetings’ agendas can be found in the Chapter’s dedicated website, namely http://www.decentralized.com/groups/decentralized-nicosia-chapter/.
The Chapter will be holding regular monthly meetings for its members but also open to the general public, usually every third Wednesday of each month. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, 20th of November at 19:00, whereas two presentations will be delivered, namely:
• “Blockchain intro and Blockchain for Business: Going beyond the hype”, by Ms Antonia Michail (MBA, LLM in International Business, AML Compliance Specialist, President of the Decentralized Nicosia Chapter); and
• “Blockchain-based Self Sovereign Identities and eIDAS”, by Ms Christiana Aristidou (Technology-Business Lawyer – National Delegate to ISO TC/307 for Blockchain and DLTs, ITU FG DLT and Founding Member and Vice Chair of Cyprus Blockchain Association).
All members of the Decentralized Chapter are invited to join and may also invite peers and family to this free, educational seminar.
You may also follow us for updates on Facebook and LinkedIn, or talk to us on Telegram.
The Decentralized Nicosia Chapter gathers together blockchain enthusiasts in the greater Nicosia area.
The chapter aims to gather like-minded individuals, for the spreading of knowledge and experience relating to blockchain technology and digital currencies. The chapter will organize seminars and meet-ups with blockchain experts to further educate its members and will support the entrepreneurial spirit.
Regular bi-weekly meetings are held open to all enthusiasts and professionals to join, at the Unesco Room in the University of Nicosia!
September 18th 2018 18:00-21:00 Unesco Room- UNIC
– Speaker: Professor Soulla Louca
*October 25th 2018 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room – UNIC
*November 7th 2018 19:00-21:00 M-203 Room – UNIC
*November 21st 2018 19:30- 21:30 M-203 Room – UNIC
*December 5th 2018 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room – UNIC
– George Agathangelou (Introduction to Blockchain & Basic Concepts)
*December 19th 2018 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room – UNIC
– Bogdan Maslesa (Blockchain Startup Testimonials)
– Nicholas Demetriou (Blockchain Startup Testimonials)
– Kyriakos Aristidi (Blockchain Startup Testimonials)
*January 9th 2019 19:00-21:00 CIIM – Limassol
[Common Meetup with Bitcoin Club Cyprus]
– Artem Vorobev (Different tastes of Ethereum Plasma & BUTTON Wallet)
– Amin Rafiee (Moving Beyond Centralisation)
– Mark Sapolinski (Where is the money? An OTC trader’s story)
– Panis Pieri (101 digital marketing tactics for a blockchain or Crypto startup)
*January 23rd 2019 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room – UNIC
– Dr. Charis Savvides (ICOs vs Traditional Crowdfunding)
– BLA Team (Regulatory verdict on Crypto-Assets. Presentation and open Discussion over recent reports from EBA and ESMA)
*February 6th 2019 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room – UNIC
– Andreas Vlachos ( Different types of Bitcoin wallets)
– Vasil Mitov (Fraud Analysis of Crypto- exit scams)
*February 20th 2019 – Limassol
[Decentralized Chapter Nicosia participates as an Educational Partner in Nakamoto’s Den conference]
*March 6th 2019 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room – UNIC
– Simon Zenios (Leading Jurisdictions for Blockchain)
– Alexis Nikolaou (Blockchain in Accounting and Auditing)
*March 20th 2019 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room – UNIC
– Joseph Karis (Blockchain Technology and Standardization)
– Yiannis Menelaou (Blockchain: Global Opportunities)
– George Agathangelou (Bitcoin Economics)
– Artem Vorobev (Crypto Wallet inside your messenger)
* April 3rd 2019 19:00-21:00 Unesco Room – UNIC – Cancelled
* April 17th 2019 19:00- 21:00 Unesco Room – UNIC
– Aki Corsoni-Hussein (Legal insights on blockchain business offshore and in Cyprus)
– Kyriakos Aristide (Blockchain Economics)
* May 8th 2019 19:00 – 21:00 Unesco Room – UNIC
– Prof. Spyros Makridakis (The Role of Blockchain in the forthcoming Revolution Artificial Intelligence/Intelligence Augmentation)
– George Agathangelou (Blockchain and the future of Money)
* May 22nd 2019 19:00 – 21:00 Unesco Room – UNIC
– Prof. George Yiaglis (What to expect in the next decade)
– Nicolas Charalambides (A tale of two altcoins)
– Michalis Odysseos (A transition to decentralized video streaming services)
* May 28th 2019 19:00 – 22:00 Aristotle Room – CIIM Limassol
Supporting Bitcoin Club Cyprus Meetup
* June 4th 2019 09:30 – 17:00 – UNIC, Central Building, room B19
Supporting DLT4ALL Lab: Blockchain-based Decentralized Applications
* June 5th 2019 19:00 – 21:00 – University of Cyprus Campus, LRC 012
Supporting Research, Innovation, and Entrepreneurship in Cyprus of 2020 event and panel discussion
* September 18th 2019 18:30 – 21:00 – Unesco Room – UNIC
Blockchain & the future of the Financial sector, Law & Democracy
– Ms. Debbie DesRosiers (Canada’s Blockchain ecosystem and results so far)
– Prof Soulla Louca (Intelligent Transformation of the Financial Sector: Blockchain & AI)
– Ms Christiana Aristidou (Blockchain: Smart Contracts, DAOs and the future of law)
– Ms Antonia Michail (Voter turnout, Blockchain voting, and the future of Democracy)
October 18th 2019, 19:00-21:00-Unesco Room-UNIC
Community elections for the Executive Committee( President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer) ***Members only!
The Decentralized Nicosia Chapter Executive Committee